Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
My reference links will open in a new tab.

If you have any corrections, suggestions, comments please use the Comments at the end of the post.
I do respond to all comments. - Thanks!

April 01, 2024

Chasing the eclipse 3 - NM-TX

‘ln the morning we left the west side of New Mexico with the east side as our destination, specifically the Guadalupe Mountains National Park.  This is a new destination for us.

It’s COLD it’s WINDY, but we did venture a couple short trails.

from the Pine Springs VC we followed the path to the Pine Springs Butterfield Stage Station.

All that is left is this one wall that is reinforcement from behind.

From here we moved on to the Frijole Ranch.

The spring generates 6 gallons a minute, and the cool water helped preserve fruits and vegetables.

My daughter has a persimmon tree.  Not a grove just a tree.


But check out the bark pattern!  Her tree has not yet developed this texture.

Our next stop was Frijole Ranch.  The site museum was closed on this Easter Sunday,  I think it would be an interesting visit.

The spring is still producing fresh water but at a far less significant rate.

With the day in Guadalupe I am able to add another sticker to my water bottle.

Our last stop in New Mexico was Clovis.  I specifically wanted to see the Blackwater Museum.  It was closed!!!  ARG!!! Do a Google search on ‘Clovis Man’ for an idea why I wanted to be there.

It is the site of the oldest known use of tools in North America.  Clovis Points are unique.  It is also a supported theory that all Native Americans are Clovis descendants.

So with my disappointment Fran suggested the Norman Petty Rock and Roll Museum. 

Radio studio:

A typical soda fountain in the early years of Rock and Roll.

Memphis is credited as the Birthplace of Rock and Roll (Elvis 1953), But Clovis is credited as the Heartbeat of Rock and Roll.  Who knew ???

Many artists recorded here,


I’m a huge Buddy Holly fan!  He recorded “That’ll be the Day” here first, followed another couple dozen!  Roy Orbison, Bobby Vee, and others wanted that Clovis Sound.

And the Fireballs “Sugar Shack”, a #1 hit for them was recorded by Petty.

If you’re a Rock and Roll fan do your own research on the unique Clovis Sound.

And you’ll notice how it still influences music today.

The original studio is on 7th street.

Thanks for the detour, Fran!  What a serendipitous stop!



8 comments:

  1. Gay and JoeApril 01, 2024

    Well, that is just too cool! We would both enjoy the Rock and Roll Museum! You mentioned lots of our favorites too! I have never read anything about Guadeloupe Mountains NP and will be researching that too! I looked briefly…just enough to peak my interest…and the Clovis people are the first human inhabitants who created a widespread culture. Sounds very interesting! Lots of good stuff in this post Jeff. And kudos to Fran who saved the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty disappointed the blackwater Museum was was closed. It would have been fascinating to learn more of these people and their unique tool making skills.
      But the Petty Museum was so very rewarding, I'm glad for that stop.

      Delete
  2. I googled Clovis Man and got a page full of Clovis men who were charged or sentence with crimes. Of course, I also got a lot of information about the indigenous Clovis people, but I thought it was funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Guess a Goggle search was not such a good idea ;) but you did find the right information. Interesting that Clovis New Mexico maybe the beginnings of our indigenous population.

      Delete
  3. Is the museum closed permanently? I know, I could google it, but ....
    Luckily Fran was prepared and you had an interesting plan B. Sometimes Plan Bs are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the Blackwater Museum of the Clovis Civilization is now only open on weekends, but Fran relly saved that detour with the Petty Rock and Roll Museum. a great stop.

      Delete
  4. Too bad the Clovis Man museum was closed but I guess the Rock & Roll museum depicted a time almost as old as Clovis Man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So enjoyed Clovis I expect to return when the museum is open.
      Had no idea Clovis was the heartbeat of Rock and Roll
      On previous trips we’ve been to
      Lubbock - where the music was born
      Surf Ballroom - where the music played
      Crash Site - where the ‘Music Died’
      Now Clovis - Where the music was made

      Delete

I welcome any corrections, additions and more links that tie in to this post. Please place them in your comments. Your comments are always appreciated! and I will reply to all comments.