Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
My reference links will open in a new tab.

If you have any corrections, suggestions, comments please use the Comments at the end of the post.
I do respond to all comments. - Thanks!

October 08, 2022

Tacos, Bombs, and yard work

It was a short bike ride to the Pacific BeachFest.  This gathering is more for geared toward us locals, rather than a tourist extravaganza.

The draw for us was not the 3 stages with live music, but the Best of PB Fish Taco Contest.  We purchased just a single $10 ticket to taste 5 competing fish tacos.

Note: Below are our rankings, not that of the votes cast at the Fest.

Fish Taco Contenders

1. Royal Rooster is way off in Quivira Basin.  Making it a destination, not a chance stop at more convenient Belmont Park.  This is a favorite stop on our Bay/Library bike rides.

Royal Rooster on the right
PB Fish on the left

2.  PB Shore Club is another popular hangout.  And it should be, with those sunset views!  The grilled Mahi-Mahi was seasoned nicely as were the toppings.  This was was our favorite until I brought us a Royal Rooster to share ;)  I didn’t tell Fran it was an RR taco either!

PB Shore on the right 
Sandbar on the left

4.  Sandbar Sports Grill is next to Belmont Park, popular with the college crowd and a frequent winner.  They won again this year.  Altho a generous portion of Mahi-Mahi, too much grease on the fried corn tortilla and weird toppings, such as deep fried onion bits.  But I’d give them another chance  ;)

5. PB Fish Shop is a popular chain in the area.  As such it’ll never disappoint, but will not be remarkable either.  At least their tacos are huge! with able toppings and include a fork :)

I deliberately skipped #3, as Aquaris was not at the fest, but is also on our bike route.

3.  Aquaris Bar and Grill in Quivira Basin at the point.  It’s also in zip code 92109 and should be included.  This is also a favorite stop on our Bay/Library bike rides.

Did I mention they have an 11:00 am weekday happy hour?

Alas I cannot include the OB Pier, our current favorite, but need to revisit while the competition is fresh in our minds.

W.O.W Cafe fish taco on OB Pier
 

As we rode to the BombFest at Crown Point we passed Heali'is Polynesian Revue in De Anza Cove.  It was fun watching the drummers and dancers during their practice.

I was asked not to post pictures of the kids ...

Bombs at Mission Bay

The Bombs are back at Mission Bay and there are more than ever.  The Bomb Fest is bigger than ever!


Please forgive the bluish photos.  My Lumix camera sometimes has a mind of its own …  Display cars and trucks are 1960 or earlier, altho I did see a few I’m sure were a bit newer.

I put some effort into the 2019 Bomb Fest HERE.  I suggest you check that out for more info on the Bombs.

Here’s a few blue-tinted pics of the couple hundred Bombs on Mission Bay.

.
Carrier for a baseball bat on a Bomb bike
.
.
Suicide doors and a gull wing hood
.
.
Awesome old Chevy, but check out the slammed Bomb behind it
.
.
.
I do like old trucks ...
.
Slammed, topless and chrome
.
.

Yard Work

A lot more needs to be done but a couple items are blog worthy.

The Macadamia Nut harvest is getting close.  I’ll add a piece on how I shuck and shell those guys on a future blog.


Each nut hangs from a single stem.  Like a bunch of green Christmas ornaments

With the City of San Diego removing all the majestic non-native palm trees in the area, I planted one!


I didn't want it to get this big!

But it grew to over 6 feet in a few years and was becoming more of a liability than a protest.  I cut it down to about 4 feet and it started growing back at about an inch a day.


EGR Valve

The continuing issue with the check engine light has been resolved.  A bit of money can fix a lot of things.  The valve uses coolant, with sensors at both in intake and outlet.  Replaced both the valve and sensors and it’s sure to fix something! 

With that fixed I’m looking forward to the next outing. ... Perhaps Borrego Days

14 comments:

  1. I'll be curious what your cut-off palm tree is going to do. When do you think it will produce new fawns? I cut off a fan palm many years ago, and the entire inside of the trunk dried up, sort of like excelsior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Phxxer! Not sure if/when this palm trunk will dry out enough to grind it down and replace it, perhaps with a fruit tree! Where do you get your favorite fish taco?

      Delete
  2. A taco contest sounds yummy. They all looked great. I've never seen a macadamia tree. But I love the nuts. That is an interesting tree. Your palm is rather strange. Keep us posted on how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are 2 Mac Nut trees! Arg! They are totally messy, dropping leaves dawn to dusk all year long! But the nuts themselves ate AWESOME!
      Next time you are in San Diego I might be able to bring you a load!

      Delete
  3. It’s Gay…What fun and you know my mouth was watering! I love some fish tacos and have yet to try one at OB pier. That’s is interesting about the majestic palm trees being removed. There is also a push in Tucson to do the same. Like Pam, I have never seen a macadamia trees, but love the nuts. Fran will be making something yummy! It’s always nice to check those dreaded kind of things like getting stuff fixed off the list…good news on the RV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gay! Altho not native, the tall palms are postcard San Diego. I don't like seeing them being removed. It is far easier to buy the macadamia nuts then it is the shuck and shell them. Fran always finds something yummy to to make with them.

      Delete
  4. I, too, have not seen a macadamia nut tree but LOVE the nuts! The fish taco test looked like it was fun, but a lot of food! burp Cool Bombs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too like those macadamia nuts, but it takes a bit of effort to get at them! Walking a Bomb show s always interesting. There's a lot of effort put into the show cars, certainly a passion by many of the owners.

      Delete
  5. Jodee GravelOctober 09, 2022

    Fish taco tasting sounds like a great idea to me!!! All your options look amazing. how exciting to have your own macadamia tree. I look forward to seeing the harvesting. They're so much more expensive than other nuts, it must be something special :-))) You must be feeding your palm the same thing as our grands - I swear they're all growing that fast too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! the Grands do grow way too fast! The youngest grand-girl drives herself to school and work.
      Fish tacos are a stable in San Diego, so it is fun to get an opportunity to have a few booths at the PB Fest

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Certainly a lot of time and passion in not just restoring, but creating pieces of art from the classic cars.

      Delete
  7. A little known fact about me: Of all the types of tacos I love (and I love them all), fish tacos are my FAVORITE! Nom, nom, nom....

    I am very jealous of you guys right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What - No fish tacos in Portugal??? There must be and I'd bet they're good too!
      It was fun though having a selection at the Fest, I admit.

      Delete

I welcome any corrections, additions and more links that tie in to this post. Please place them in your comments. Your comments are always appreciated! and I will reply to all comments.