Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
My reference links will open in a new tab.

If you have any corrections, suggestions, comments please use the Comments at the end of the post.
I do respond to all comments. - Thanks!

May 31, 2022

Borrego Springs - tau Herculids Meteor Shower

The night of Memorial Day was moonless and with the possibility of a meteor storm, I loaded up and for an overnight to Borrego Springs.

As typical I stopped a Dudley’s Bakery in Santa Ysabel for a Baja sandwich that will make two meals.

.
.

I miss-timed my arrival to Christmas Circle

to attend the complete Veterans Memorial Service, provided by the local American Legion Post 853.  But did catch the bugler playing Taps and the honor guard providing a 21 gun salute.
.

This Scout Car was used by General Patton while training in Anza Borrego was on display

From Christmas Circle I stopped to top off the truck.  If cost is any indication of quality, Borrego must have some real quality fuel!

gas 6.89;6.99;7.09 - diesel 6.89

The road up to Font’s Point required 4x4.  That’s not usually the case, but the sand and ruts were pretty deep.

At mid-day I was the only one there for about half hour.  It was a nice visit with dad.

After Font’s Point I drove over to the American Legion

with the idea of taking a picture of the Missing Man Table that is always there.  I think all of Borrego was there!  Burgers and war stories for some 500 guests.  Here's a picture from the web of a Missing Man Table.


.

After the flag raising, I left in search of cactus that might still be in bloom.  What rain that does fall in this area will drain into the Texas Dip.  Nope nothing there.

I headed over to Ocotillo Wells, with the idea to set up my camp there at one of the provided shelters.  Free camping, with showers available kinda appealed to me.  Altho not crowded, the activity was hectic and the sites near the showers taken by two large groups, so moving on.

Slowjamastan is just a bit further east on CA78.  Unlike my last visit there has been noticeable progress.

The boundary fence marks the territorial boarder with the US.

Altho I got a good chuckle out of this warning sign, I did not test it for accuracy

With the population now around 200 Slowjamastanies, I was not surprised to see property signs going up.  This lot belongs to the Palmer family.

I returned to Borrego Springs with the thought the ocotillo garden in Coyote Canyon might have some color left to photograph.

I’ve never encountered such deep sand in Coyote Canyon, again I’d advise 4x4.

A surprising number of ocotillo have suffered from the drought.

Some have succumbed

The ocotillo is drought deciduous, dropping it’s leaves when water is not available.  This one is waiting for better times ahead.

None had any leaves and  Coyote Creek was dry.

I set up camp on the east side of Peg Leg Smith, which is just a short drive way.

The meteor shower radiant should be directly overhead near Arcturus.

I’m the only one here!  Despite a chance for a once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event it’s just me.

Unfortunately, not only did the meteor storm not occur, the wind was Biblical!  I did see several small slow moving particles that went ‘poof’ in a bright burst.  And several ‘streakers’, that started dim, become bright streaks, before fading away.  There some meteors, just not the anticipated 'storm'.

Although the tau Herculids were just a mediocre performance, I enjoyed the day in Borrego Springs.

14 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff, great to see some pictures of Borrego Springs. Too bad about the meteor shower but I knew all those places where you went. Never been to Slowjamastan but I have a good idea where it is, The last time we saw George Yates was right there at Peg Leg Smiths. So sad about those Ocotillos and I thought the grass at Christmas Circle looked pretty stressed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al!, I too met George at peg Leg Smith, and learned of peanut butter on a hot dog.
      The draught is hitting the desert for sure, but suspect the mountains that are accustomed to more water are heaving a more difficult time.
      Borrego Days is Oct 22/23 2022, hope the Bayfield Bunch can make it :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for refreshing my memories of Borrego Springs. Sad the effect the drought is having on the plants.
    Nice you got a little view of the Meteor Showers. Maybe there will be more.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Freedom.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Rick, what was your favorite destination in the desert southwest? It is indeed sad to see how the draught is damaging the desert, but I'm sure it an recover. Perhaps quicker than our fire ravaged mountains.

      Delete
  3. AnonymousJune 01, 2022

    It’s Gay…sorry the meteor shower was a bust and so sad to read about the ocotillo. Monsoons are coming soon and it’s predicted to be a good season…fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we all hope this year's monsoon season brings much needed rains to the desert southwest. It would have been nice to see a meteor storm, but I'm glad I went regardless.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good Memorial Day but bummer the storm didn't materialize. I don't know if the winds are ever going to calm down - I can't remember them hanging around this late. Hope the summer brings the much needed rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure all of the desert is praying for that much needed rain! Even without the rains, or the meteor shower, and with the high winds ... I had a very good Memorial Day.

      Delete
  5. Nice to see so many familiar spots. But the desert looks so sad with the drought. Reminds of here. Sorry the meteor shower didn't materialize but seems like a fun time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad that the desert is not the vibrant habitat of a few years ago, but if the summer rains come it can bounce back. With the News Moon it would have been a perfect night to stargaze ... except for the dang wind.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for taking us back to Borrego Springs, we missed it this year....and really missed it. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly hope to see you there next year! Borrego really missed you too!

      Delete
  7. I am trying to catch up. How did I get so far behind? Seems Borrego wouldn't be a first choice for coming summer temperatures. So sad to see how dry. Here too. Pray for rain. I only saw one streak across the sky. But at least you got away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borrego is always a nice getaway for me. The meteors did show appear but not as a storm. Praying for rain!!!

      Delete

I welcome any corrections, additions and more links that tie in to this post. Please place them in your comments. Your comments are always appreciated! and I will reply to all comments.