Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
My reference links will open in a new tab.

If you have any corrections, suggestions, comments please use the Comments at the end of the post.
I do respond to all comments. - Thanks!

August 05, 2024

Enjoying Some Art

I certainly enjoy preparing for a trip than the chores that accompany returning home.  certainly always find it a welcome to return, but fairy does the chores while we are on the road.

With the yard work mostly caught up, the RV cleaned up the house in shape it is time for some fun.

We took the trolley to Old Town for the Latin American Festival, which included a selection Mata Ortiz pottery. 

But first lunch!  Fiesta de Reyes this time.  The Fiesta de Reyes (Party of the Kings) restaurant group also includes The Cosmopolitan Hotel and Restaurant, and Fran's favorite Barra Barra Saloon.

We split the 2 item combo of a chicken enchilada and a carnitas soft taco.

The artist displays were across the street at Bazar del Mundo.

So many fun hand painted ceramic works, some tiny

some a bit larger

But the real draw is the pottery of Mata Ortiz!

The pueblo of Mata Ortiz was a small a agricultural village.  The men worked the fields, the women kept the homes.  Until the railroad left in the 1960s and the village fell into neglect.

A local artisan, Juan Quezada Celado, began making pottery in the traditional pre-spanish, style and by 1980 the village began a rebound.

All the pottery is formed, fired and hand painted.

I like hummingbirds, and the detail on the vase almost made it home.

.

But there were so many other worthy choices.

Fran like the black clay vases.  And I too was intrigued by their construction.

From tiny little incense holders to flower bouquet vases.  The hand painting is just exquisite.


For sure there were also handmade dresses,

Porcelain dishes with hummingbirds,

An interesting ceramic chess set,

Ceramic dog dinner napkin holders

And a vase worthy of being my urn

It's August! that means Hatch Chilis are in town1  It’s the season, and Lazy Acres Market in Mission Hills is hosting a chili roasting.

Lazy Acres Natural Market

Lazy Acres is a chain of markets featuring natural foods, with an great looking salad bar

A nice selection of samples made with the chilis and of course available for sale.


The market did not have the large rotating tub, but a grill that held maybe 18 chilis.


For $50 a 25lb case could be purchased! That's a lot of chilis

I did not wait in the long line for the roasted peppers, but bought a couple dozen to roast at home.

Once well blistered, I placed the roasted peppers in a sealed zip lock bag, with a damp paper towel to steam a bit.

The skins are so much easier to remove.

I made some open faced chili rellenos (stuffed chilis) with chicken and shrimp.

Fran pronounced them DELICIOSO!

We now have a cute little gray squirrel in the yard.  The Macadamia nuts are not quite ready to harvest.  And if he’d only go for the ones high on the tree …. But alas … he can easily take his fill from the same ones I can reach

I’m having to bring in the ones I can reach early.  There’s 2 different trees.


There’s still a lot that I can reach and will bring in early


Aj requires 8 credits in humanities at UCSD.  Rather than take two courses, with tests, she went to Spain for 6.weeks!  Obligation met!  She arrived in San Diego at 10pm from Toronto.  We had her for the night, with a promise of breakfast at Kono’s in the morning.


To complete steps for the weekend, we enjoyed the Art Walk at Liberty Station.

So much talent on display

.

There wee more displays than last year, still with live music a beer garden and a food court.

‘Fire Me Up’ looked good, but we’re still walking of our Kono’s breakfast ;)

I can hear the that pesky rodent in the Macadamia tree.  Guess I'll bring some more in this morning.

6 comments:

  1. I love the colors on display at the Latin American festival - so cheerful and bright. Your food choices look wonderful, my mouth is watering here in Colorado. Save the Macadamia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vibrant colors in both the clothing and art work is indeed a lot of fun. Certainly more vibrant than the artwork displayed at Liberty Station.

      Delete
  2. What does one do with that many chilis? I could not imagine buying an entire box like that. What was the average price of the pottery? I imagine it was rather expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I have o ide what to do with a case of Hatch Chili! Altho they do freeze well.
      If you ask the price ... the old saying remains true - "you can't afford it". But on display prices were $40 - $2500. The one I wanted for my urn was $1500, Fran said I wasn't worth it ;)

      Delete
  3. Gay and JoeAugust 05, 2024

    I agree…the colors are so brilliant and happy! I do have a soft spot for pottery. It would not do for me to be there as I saw several beautiful pieces…the hummingbirds are gorgeous and the black clay is quite unique. Your open baked chillies sound yummy! AJ made a great choice…Spain and WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Happy" !!! a perfect description of those vibrant colors! They always give me a smile. The Mata Ortiz pottery is quite unique and the pueblo has a right to be very proud of it. I agree Aj chose wisely ... Weeks in a classroom and paperwork or 6 weeks in another country.
      I only have 12 chilies left, but I can still buy more ;)

      Delete

I welcome any corrections, additions and more links that tie in to this post. Please place them in your comments. Your comments are always appreciated! and I will reply to all comments.