Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
My reference links will open in a new tab.

If you have any corrections, suggestions, comments please use the Comments at the end of the post.
I do respond to all comments. - Thanks!

August 21, 2022

Ohio - Family and more home work

The diesel in the Midwest is high in Bio/renewable content.  Our 2008 Mercedes 3.0 diesel engine was one of the most advanced on the market when it built.  Biodiesel was not as prevalent then.  On the freeways the stations cater to the big trucks, where 20% biodiesel is most common.

After our second fill-up in Kansas the check engine warning became illuminated.

I always add a few ounces of Diesel Kleen to each fill-up to help combat the Midwest fuels.

The Scan Gauge indicated the error code was P2457 and EGR failure.

Although the EGR valve is right on top of the engine, and I was prepared to clean it, it was stuck. 

.

I gave it a whack with a hammer but it remained in place.  I didn’t want to whack it too hard, so I reinstalled the bolts with plans to try again later.

We then went down to Beavercreek to watch Fran’s baby brother play tennis in a clay court competition.


He didn’t do so great … guess clay is not his best court surface.

The Fraze hosted the annual Bacon Fest that weekend.  Fran and I road our bikes over, where we each had a carnitas and bacon soft taco.


and shared bacon churros for dessert.

Fran played some tennis on Monday while I rode my bike to Dorthey Lane Market.  They have the best salad bar around.

Along with a great selection of produce

and cheeses

The High School season is always kicked off on Thursday with the Battle of Kettering.  Fran’s Alter Knights vs her brother’s Fairmont Firebirds.

Fairmont won easily 31-7.  But the 8 turnovers kept the game exciting.

Fairborn hosts the Fairborn Sweet Corn Festival every year.  This is the first time we have attended.  We were a bit disappointed that there were not more corn options at in the food court. 

But they did have a lot of corn!  Burwinkel Farms corn was being delivered by the truck load …

for the gals to shuck …

and cooked up in a large steamer.


There were lots of food options and craft booths. 

a train ride for kids of all ages

and a pioneer life exhibit including axe throwing

The Burwinkel corn as quite good.  We left with a dozen ears with the plan to freeze some with the plan to compare it to the Olathe sweet corn of western Colorado.  We'll pick some up on the way home.

I’ll close this post now, and finish up our visit and the work done on the house next time.

OH YES! - Remember that black watermelon from my last post?  It survived the trip from Green River UT nicely.

.

9 comments:

  1. It’s Gay…I can’t wait for the corn comparison…you know what a fan I am of the Olathe corn. A bacon fest…um…feast is always a treat. Lots of fun times going on in Ohio and what an awesome market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gay! - We're big fans of the Olathe corn too. It'd be fun to do the taste test. Dorthey Lane Market is more expensive than those big stores, but offers so much more.
      We're staying busy with a face lift for the kitchen, some fun and some family outings.

      Delete
  2. Jodee GravelAugust 22, 2022

    With all the corn fields we've passed over the last few months I'm amazed we've seen zero road side stands selling any. Must all be going to the gas pump and feed lots. That market looks wonderful, wish we had one even close to that nice in Arizona. Tasty looking watermelon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too wonder where those miles of corn go, and I agree it's feed and biodiesel. But the sweetcorn we've had here in Ohio the Olathe are just awesome! I agree Dorthey Lane Market is special, they even host a farmers market for the 'backyard farmers' in the area.

      Delete
  3. Oh, sweet corn galore. I so miss good sweet corn. We've even stooped to buying a couple cold, damp grocery store offering. Just not the same as the sun warmed, opalescent ears we took for granted when we lived in western New York. Bacon Churros? Mmmmmm
    Did you get your EGR valve unstuck, hammer blows are my go to for anything that doesn't work, but Dave always digs deeper. That's why he's the mechanic of the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how we could do it but a sweetcorn fest of our own featuring a taste-off of the best from your Finger Lakes, from Fran's Ohio and I'll go with Gay and Joe with the western slopes of Colorado.
      EGR valve is not 'fixed' but with that hammer blow it is again opening and closing, and the check engine warning has extinguished. I'll continue to add a double dose of Diesel Kleen as we depart next week.

      Delete
  4. Hm, I didn't know that about biodiesel. I miss Midwest sweet corn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most engines are not as sensitive to diesel additives as mine. Ethanol is also used t create E-Diesel, that was a $2000 mistake I made once ...
      We are definitely enjoying the sweet corn.

      Delete
  5. I have to wait for next blog to see about the biodiesel fix. Nice suspense touch. There’s an Olathe, Kansas I met once, I think it’s a tribe. Watermelon those parts is also more special than what we can buy.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any corrections, additions and more links that tie in to this post. Please place them in your comments. Your comments are always appreciated! and I will reply to all comments.