Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
My reference links will open in a new tab.

If you have any corrections, suggestions, comments please use the Comments at the end of the post.
I do respond to all comments. - Thanks!

March 20, 2021

Borrego Springs - and Cesar Chavez

Cesar Chavez was born on March 31, 1927 in Yuma, AZ.  I read that this March 31 a series of panels in his honor will be dedicated in Borrego Springs.

On a beautiful Friday morning Fran has bridge scheduled, leaving me free to check out the panels on my own.  And of course check out the Farmer’s Market.  We could use both oranges and tamales.


Laura and Kevin of Chapter3Travels were here a couple weeks ago.  In their blog Laura offered photography tips on the photos they took while here.  I went over to use the WiFi at the library to review the blog.


Per my usual route, I made a run out to Font’s point, where I scattered dads ashes over a decade ago.


Unlike our last trip to Font's Point, I shared the point with only a few Geckos.

A converted bus was stuck in the soft sand as the young couple, who called it home, were working their way up.  Fortunately for them I had the truck and was able to free them, with more sand ahead and less than a mile R/T they decided to walk the rest of the way.


I’ll be doing a zig-zag route around the sculptures and try some of Laura’s tips.  I did take lots of pictures, a few of them made it to this blog.

Alorinis w/ Prey


Grasshopper
The wings on the grasshopper are very well done 
.
Grasshopper and Scorpion
.
The Serpent
.
Galleta Meadows Willies Jeep
.
Giant Tortoise
.
Indian Head

My last stop was the Farm Workers, the people Cesar Chavez helped organize.

.
Farm Workers


The fight is never about grapes or lettuce. It is always about people
. ~Cesar Chavez

With his success organizing the Delano Grape Strike.  Chavez brought the Grape Strike to Borrego Springs.  Although the grape growers in the Borrego Valley never recovered, the citrus industry thrived.

The students from Borrego High School, over four years, put together the Cesar Chavez panels.  The panels were erected near the Palm Canyon Trailhead within the ABDSP.


Cesar Chavez Panels

.
.

.


Preservation of one's own culture does not require contempt or disrespect for other cultures. ~Cesar Chavez

Time to head home.


Despite the great tips from Chapter3Travels, I still take snapshots ... just a lot more of them this trip 😀 

16 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, we must of missed the farm workers... You will have some great Karma for un-sticking the converted bus stuck in the soft sand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can catch the Farm Workers next visit, an excuse to return. Not sure about the Karma, I could/should have offered to drive them to the top ... but didn't ...

      Delete
  2. I always love seeing photos of Borrego Springs. So many great memories for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the Bayfield Bunch enjoyed many great times in B.S., and they miss you!

      Delete
  3. Nice you were able to help that couple out.
    The Grape workers were there in Dec 2018 when we stopped in. Took us days to find all the Sculptures.
    Glad you had the chance to explore.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With over 130 sculptures to find on the 3000 acres of Galleta Meadows I'm sure it took days to find them all! Glad you did. It might be possible to visit them all in order ... Be nice to hear you and Kathy are planning another visit.

      Delete
  4. Glad the crowds were not around for your visit with Dad this time. And being help someone in distress is always a great feeling. People don't realize they are driving through a wash when going up and it is a sandy. one. Thanks for the pictures of the sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not often there is any alone time at Fonts Point, it was nice being there. I kinda wonder how those kids got their bus turned around.

      Delete
  5. Nice day full of adventures, especially for the bus folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a full day, I'm beginning to think it's a bit too much for a day trip. The kids in the bus certainly have an experience to talk about.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for taking me back to one of my favorite places. We haven't seen the sculptures for a few years, I always enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Suzi! - I seldom tour the sculptures, having driven by so many times, but now I'm think'n of capturing them in chronological order ...
      After all the work you and Dave put into the Lake Cottage I'm really looking forward to the next chapter you choose.

      Delete
  7. Cesar Chavez is to the Latinos what Martin Luther King is to the African Americans. Cesar dedicated his life to making a better life for the farm workers. I'm surprised you didn't come home with one of those metal grasshoppers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd need a much bigger truck to bring that grasshopper home, but thin it might make a nice lawn ornament.

      Delete
  8. Hey!! Look at that! Great close up pictures of the sculptures and LOTS of them! I love it! And now we have even more reason to head back to Borrego Springs. I'd love to read those panels and learn more about Mr. Chavez. What a great project for the high school students to take on. Speaking of learning things (the hard way), glad you could help those kids out. Soft sand can be brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soft sand and converted busses should not mix :)
    It was a beautiful day with few tourists giving me some time to try a few of your tips. I tried to take some of the same shots from your blog ... Guess I need another lesson!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any corrections, additions and more links that tie in to this post. Please place them in your comments. Your comments are always appreciated! and I will reply to all comments.