Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
My reference links will open in a new tab.

If you have any corrections, suggestions, comments please use the Comments at the end of the post.
I do respond to all comments. - Thanks!

February 27, 2021

Nobel Canyon - How not to hike it

Noble Canyon is a popular trail in the Laguna Mountain about an hour east of San Diego.  The lower section of the trail is 1 mi west of Pine Valley and 1.5 mi north on Pine Creek Road.  The trail is 10 miles to its upper end at Penny Pines with ~1000 ft elevation gain.

Fran and I have been to the Penny Pines Trailhead in the past.  Never the lower trailhead.  One of Fran’s gal-pals mentioned this was one of her favorite hikes. Sooo...


From the trailhead it quickly ascends for about 1/4 mile over a very rocky section with uneven footing.  Another 1/4 mi of loose gravel, where I tweak my knee, the trail becomes dirt.


The trail passes through a large grove of manzanita, but offers very little shade.


At about 1 mi there is some shade under the oak trees, before again turning to shadeless chaparral.


Just before the descent down to Pine Creek is a makeshift bench.


A nice place to rest as we decide to continue or return.  We have just completed the hardest section of the trail, but it would be wise to return while I am able to continue.

Less than 1/2 mile from the trailhead the knee says no more, yes going downhill is much harder then going uphill.  Just a few more steps and I’m down again Fran helps me get up but I cannot hold my balance.

I made it to a nice shady spot on the trail as Fran went down to replenish our water.

The rocky section was more difficult going down than it was going up.  She was right to think I’d be hard pressed to make it, she dialed 911.

CalFire showed up with 2 trucks and their paramedic unit.  Mountain Rescue brought a gurney with a large center tire for trail use, Pine Valley sent an ambulance and the Forest Service provided a park ranger.  Massive response …


Fran led three paramedics back up the trail, to where I was napping quite comfortably in the shade.  I couldn’t get up, but was otherwise ok.

Initial examination showed no serious damage, then they concentrated on poking/prodding my knee.  They helped me to stand and as long as I kept my leg straight it would hold my weight.  With their assistance through the scree and rocks we all arrived back at the trailhead.


And I didn’t need a ride on their tire.   Kudos to CalFire and all First Responders!


Not sure where we will hike next week, but for sure it will be level!

The upper trailhead at Penny Pines is shaded by pine trees and surrounded by alpine meadows.   That’s the place to start exploring Noble Canyon.
.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, that's quite a response! It's nice to know they are there, but a little embarrassing! Glad you were able to get down on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention the Sherriff was there to direct traffic. I do think we could have made it out on our own - but you're so good to know they were there and willing to help a stranger.

      Delete
  2. Glad you made it back down. The parts do get rusty with time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I refuse to admit I might be beyond rusty.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear! Glad they were there to help! Does seem like a big response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does seem like half of Pine Valley came out. But glad they were better prepared than I was

      Delete
  4. I think that by asking for help, you made the best choice. If later you had a lot more pain, Murphy's law would have kicked in. Glad you are home and resting your knee for the moment. Happy Trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an embarrassing way to end the day, but it's good to be home safe and getting ready for the next outing.

      Delete
  5. What a hike Jeff. That tweak turned tough. Knees are a must on hilly terrain. Glad you made it out even if it required a little assistance. Glad you're okay. I worry about body failure when hiking. Hope I have the generous assistance if I ever need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug, I was thinking about you're hiking alone as I was resting on the trail. Does Yuma know how to dial 911 ? :} Glad Fran was with me this trip, but I all too often also hike alone

      Delete
  6. Sorry to read about your difficulty on the trail. The rocks and steps are so hard on the knees. I am a 100 times worse going down hill than up. Glad you were able to get down with the help. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. As the nimble hiker you could enjoy the upper reaches of this trail. Still not ready to hang up my boots and will be looking for the easy trails from now on.

      Delete
  7. After breaking my leg and needing surgery to put my knee back together, I totally get it. Down is harder than up, rocks are brutal, and better to be safe than sorry. Glad you're alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reconstructive surgery on your leg? Ouch!
      Glad you're OK!

      Delete
  8. Glad things turned out okay. It's a bummer as we age our bodies slowly start to break down from wear and tear. I guess that means you had an active, healthy lifestyle. From now on you need only pick and choose hikes that won't tax your knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're right but sure hate to admit it!

      Delete

I welcome any corrections, additions and more links that tie in to this post. Please place them in your comments. Your comments are always appreciated! and I will reply to all comments.