Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
My reference links will open in a new tab.

If you have any corrections, suggestions, comments please use the Comments at the end of the post.
I do respond to all comments. - Thanks!

September 29, 2024

Fog’n Fall

With the Tuweep trip postponed and  discovering on my Ocotillo Wells trip last week I’m getting pretty stiff to be tenting camping.  I decided to check out the RecVan and Overlander RVs at the LaMesa show.


It’s late September and the beach area is still under heavy morning fog.  We have ‘MayGray’, ‘JuneGloom’, ‘NoSkyJuly’, ‘Fogust’, but no term for September fog.  I’m coining ‘Fog’nFall’, and am open to any other input.

So on this Fog’nFall day I checked out the van options that would make the 60 miles of dirt road to Tuweep.

Vanlife street vans are little more than off-the-shelf vans with a modified interior.


The overlander vans are priced well into $100,000 range. $140,000 for a Sprinter chassis.


But I liked the EKCO better at just over $150,000 on the Ford chassis.


There was not a single 4x4 on display.  All units were All Wheel Drive (AWD).  A damaged tire on an AWD typically means FOUR new tires, not putting on the spare tire.  The computer needs to be satisfied.

I did like the rear corner unit for some shade.


On the next Fog’nFall morning I was off to the Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) for the largest Military Air Show in the US.

The gates opened at 8am and I started walking the tarmac at 8:30.

The B29 'DOC' is 1 of 2 B29 planes in flying condition.



DOC was retired in 1956 and used as target practice in the Mojave.  After 12 years of restoration DOC can be seen at many airshows.


The P-3 Orion remains in service



The KC135 is used for arial refueling


The C17 is a heavy hauler


The folks heading inside add a bit of scale to this big boy


The legendary B52


This is a British Fairey Firefly painted up to represent a Japanese warplane.


Now this caught my attention



Now that's my idea of an overlander


By noon the show has yet to show any signs of starting.  An inverted helicopter was scheduled to do a demonstration at 10:30.  Grr Fog’nFall!

As I’m thinking of getting a snack I find the least expensive item on the tarmac is $5 glazed Dunkin’ Donut!


The Marines also have shoot’n’scoot land equipment, manufactured by Lockheed Martin.


Ashough I wanted to see the inverted helicopter most folks are waiting for the Blue Angels.


It would be a great sight as Amanda Lee, not only the first gal to make the team, she also has command of the fourth slot.  But ...

A few fun static exhibits as I had back to my truck.  A 1966 Bonanza with a V6 piston engine.


I guess the engine is mounted backwards to turn the propeller and acrobatics are not allowed???

An Air Force version of the Navy Hornet.  The wings fold, but it lacks a tail hook.


Now that’s a beach toy!


The Navy Lap Frog Team was to jump from the Osprey to signal the start as they descend with the American Flag and the Anthem is played.  This Osprey is a static display.


The Osprey to be used for the event are still idle at the far west end of the tarmac.

The CH53 Super Stallion is one big rotor craft!  Just looking at the size of the tail rotor gives an indication of how much torque it needs to counter.


I’ve seen the inverted helicopter before and the Blue Angels can be seen from home.  So as I’m leaving the Osprey engines are starting to warm up!

Any air buffs out there with amplifications or corrections please comment!  My notes, my photos, or memories could easily be mixed ...

I’ll have a bit more on rotor craft next time.


4 comments:

  1. That's quite an Air Show. The most plains I've seen were at a museum.
    Be Safe and Enjoy dreaming of your Van.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Your right an overlander van is a dream ... but I could make some mods to my truck ;)

      Delete
  2. Our son worked on the Ch 53 Super Stallian for 20 some years when he was active duty in the marines. Definently a work horse !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks or stopping by! It is a massive beast! I have the rotorcraft museum up next week ... Stay tuned!

      Delete

I welcome any corrections, additions and more links that tie in to this post. Please place them in your comments. Your comments are always appreciated! and I will reply to all comments.