Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
My reference links will open in a new tab.

If you have any corrections, suggestions, comments please use the Comments at the end of the post.
I do respond to all comments. - Thanks!

March 22, 2024

Borrego Blooms – day trip to Borrego Springs

My county library card was due for renewal.  Normally this would be a fun bike ride from Pepper Park to the Imperial Beach library, or the short drive to La Mesa.  But Fran is doing her prep for our trip to the Eclipse … There’s wildflowers in the Borrego  So I’m off to the Borrego Springs Library.  And the Anza Borrego State Park.


I stopped for a machaca breakfast burrito at Jilbertos.  As the Bayfield bunch one said; “Things wouldn’t be right with the world if we didn’t pop into Jilbertos after first arriving in town you know."  Al recommends their hamburger, I do not recommend their machaca breakfast burrito.  Too much grease and moisture, the tortilla fell apart.  Hamburger for breakfast next time!

Enough typing/reading.  Let’s check what’s left of the bloom, while I'm looking for a Desert Lily.

My first stop is Henderson Canyon, always everybody’s favorite stop for wildflowers.

Henderson Canyon
.
Henderson Canyon
.
Henderson Canyon

The flowers are mostly small groups in a sea of verbena.

Sunflower, Buckwheat and Dandelion

Showy Sunflower

Showy Sunflower

Sunflower
.
Sunflower

Sand Verbena

Brittlebush

Pincushion

Non-native mustard finding a home in the dried cracks of the mud.

Mustard

Dune Primrose

Apricot

It was a nice seeing the late season flowers, but alas no Desert Lily.

For my next search, I planned to try Coachwhip Canyon.  But first, I wanted to stop for a visit with Daddy Dearest at Fonts Point, as it's on the way.

DD’s forever view

And right above where I distributed his ashes over a decade ago is this shabby Desert Lily!  Thanks Dad!

Desert Lily

Check out the root system of this Ocotillo! 

Erosion!

Some serious erosion!  It’s not only still living, its flowers are well established.


With my quest for the lily complete,  I am free to head to the library and renew my county library card.

I like to walk through the community gardens across the street from the library.  Just a couple pix for encouragement for you to do so on your next visit.

.
.

There are some dandelions just outside of the library.

With a my renewed library card, it was time to check out cactus.  They typically bloom after the wildflowers.

Prickly Pear

Yucca

Silver Cholla
.
Silver Cholla

Beavertail


Hedgehog


Teddy-bear Cholla

Jumping Cholla

To remove cholla I carry a pocket comb to flick the culprit off.  Also tweezers to pull any left over spines out.  In this case I used a propane lighter to burn the leftover spines off.


Agave

Barrel Cactus

I bet the cactus bloom will be a vibrant sea of color next month.

The bar at the American Legion opens at 3.  I could have had an adult beverage or two, but it’s still a bit of a drive home.

I enjoyed my day, trust you had a good one too.

Now back to prepping Rufus, we’ll be leaving in a couple days!



12 comments:

  1. Thans to all the extra rain the desert has had, it looks a lot different than the last time we saw it. Great Pictures.
    Be Sade and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick, and Kathy! For sure we had an abundance of rain this season. And the desert flowers are very happy :)

      Delete
  2. Those blooms are beautiful, but that root system on the ocotillo stole the show, that thing is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rains this year did cause a lot of run off erosion. I don't see how that ocotillo is still standing.

      Delete
  3. Gay and JoeMarch 23, 2024

    Good morning Jeff and Fran! The blooms are so pretty! I love the desert all year round, but especially in the spring with all the pops of colors. I agree about the ocotillo…such an interesting desert plant. I’ll pack a comb in the backpack…it’s no fun being attacked by those jumping cholla! Your dad has a wonderful forever view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The desert has such a unique smell after the rain and the promise of wildflowers. I was a little late in the season getting to see the wildflowers, but it was still a vibrant display of color.
      For sure DD picked a great spot! I am chose to ji him there ;)

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for taking us back to Borrego Springs and the glorious Wildflower displays it shares. We definitely need to plan a visit next year, it's been too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Borrego misses you as well! Hopefully we can meet up with you there!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for taking the trip to AB. What fun exploring the desert blooms. The Desert Lilies must be over. I saw so many photos of them on other posts on Instagram earlier. That ocotillo is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed, i was happy to find a just the one Desert Lily. The social media would have you think they were everywhere!
      But I agree that ocotillo was a fascinating find!

      Delete
  6. Yay!!! I was hoping folks were getting out to see the blooms and here you are with such a great variety. Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jodee! I'm privileged that BS can be a day trip, but it's a lot more interesting with a few days to spend there. Your blog has shown some nice variety as well.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any corrections, additions and more links that tie in to this post. Please place them in your comments. Your comments are always appreciated! and I will reply to all comments.