Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
My reference links will open in a new tab.

If you have any corrections, suggestions, comments please use the Comments at the end of the post.
I do respond to all comments. - Thanks!

December 02, 2023

Pre-Christmas - outings

We’ve had a few fun and not as fun outings in the past couple weeks.  First was a not so fun visit to the surgeon for my 4 mo post-op review.

My bionic knee

He remains quite optimistic, but at this time I certainly expect more.  My knee continues to pop with each step, but on the positive side it is WAY better than pre-surgery.  So now when I’m asked ‘How are you?’ my response is 'I get better every day!’

In-n-Out Burger honors our Veterans with a FREE meal!  (Thx for the tip Aj!)

I typically order a cheeseburger ‘Animal Style’ which adds French Dressing and grilled onions along with the lettuce and tomatoes, fries and soda.  I took the fries home for Fran.  (Gay – Fran can help with your leftover fries :) )

Another veteran benefit was reduced price on weekday tix at Nightscape at the San Diego Botanical Gardens.

The gardens are decorated with festive lights along the one mile trail loop.  We parked in their Blue Lot and entered the loop from there.

Neither tripods nor mono-sticks are allowed, so ignore the fuzzy handheld low light pics, and many of the lights are animated .. so very cool … but not very photogenic.

The giant lily is quite beautiful …

and its mate’s reflection is quite amazing .


The light displays were varied throughout the trail.  Overhead tulips were common.

Aj with the tulips.

Birds were red and blue

In places the trail is lighted with LED lanterns. 

Looking closely at the LED lanterns each contain a unique shadow.

A fairy ... Tinkerbell ?

For many this tree was the highlight.

And we did spend a few minutes there.

But I think the Cathedral was the best photo-op.

Surrounded by light is was impossible to take a bad picture, but having family subjects certainly helps.  If Kg could have joined us this would be a Christmas Card!

Jay, Kami, Aj

Today I loaded our bikes up for a ride to the Makers Arcade.

As we typically do we parked in Liberty Station for the 4+ mile ride to the Embarcadero.  A bit of exercise on a level ride.

The Arcade features local artisans.

Freeze Dried Candy ???  not for me!

Live music on 3 different stages

This fella has enough hives to generate the honey for his local mead.

Christmas coasters

A fun repeat that Kami and I used to use.

“You remind me of the Babe
What Babe?
The Babe with the Power
What Power ...”

I should have bought it ….

Macrame has made a comeback!

The only Food Court booth without a line!

The Dang Brothers pizza have their pizza oven in the bed of an old fire truck

And here’s Fran coming with our order

A Hawaiian that we will split

Very good !!!

As we returned to the bike rack we enjoyed watching this wreath making event at the Make-and-Take table.

Even this far into winter, I continue to lose to Fran as we play Hand-and-Foot most evenings.  But at least we can still play outside!


.

8 comments:

  1. Yippee….i know where I can send my fries! The lights are so pretty and I totally agree the cathedral is very photogenic, but I really love the lanterns with the fairies. I can’t imagine anybody would visit a food truck for vegan…pizzas, dogs, and tacos everytime for us! Glad to read your knee is healing nicely and I have to Google Hand-and-Foot. We love games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The botanical garden lights were indeed a great experience, we'll probably go again next year ... hopefully with all the grands for a Christmas picture. It's been a fun week for us

      Delete
  2. Beautiful light stroll, a lovely and low key holiday celebration! Your pizza looked amazing, though I'm not usually a fan of pineapple on pizza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son doesn't like pineapple on his either :)
      Woodfired on the waterfront it indeed matched our outing.

      Delete
  3. Wow, just think how long it took to set up all those lights! You are right though, the cathedral did make for an excellent photo op area. I hope your knee news continues to be positive, not much worse than being in constant pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too were wondering how those lights were put up. Glad they did it tho.

      Delete
  4. The pops have to be annoying but great to hear you're much better than before! Nice to be where the weather is so perfect for the holidays - beautiful sunny days. LOL at the lack of line. I'd think they would be really popular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodee - For sure San Diego weather usually cooperates! We'll have the son's family for Christmas as they come down from the pacific North-wet. Their happy to escape the rain for a week.

      Delete

I welcome any corrections, additions and more links that tie in to this post. Please place them in your comments. Your comments are always appreciated! and I will reply to all comments.