Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
My reference links will open in a new tab.

If you have any corrections, suggestions, comments please use the Comments at the end of the post.
I do respond to all comments. - Thanks!

July 10, 2020

McCain Valley - BLM San Diego

It was an interesting week in San Diego, which still has the only open beach in SoCal.  But with the spike in Covid cases all indoor activities -  dining, museums, etc. - are again closed!  And I have no desire to brave the beach crowds.

Anza Borrego Desert State Park is now open for day use only, tempting, but way too HOT at 110F.  All campgrounds, both developed, primitive and dispersed remain closed within the state park.

All BLM lands in the county are now open, including campgrounds!, but not their restrooms.

I decided to visit McCain Valley at over 3000' it's cooler, and in a recent BLMbytes news letter, the BLM was asking for public input on improvements.  Last time I was here the Tule Wind Farm had not even been started.  I submitted my suggestions based my visit a decade ago.  Since the Wind Farm construction is now complete, it’s time for a revisit.

McCain Valley Road is located on Old US80 just east of Boulevard CA.  The recreation area is 3 miles north of that junction.


McCain Valley Road is paved to the BLM entrance, where it becomes a well maintained gravel road.  Entering the McCain Valley Resource Conservation Area there is a sign giving distances to the major attractions.  I’ll do the Sacatone Overlook first.

This is a narrow jeep trail that requires 4x4 high clearance, or sturdy boots and lots of water :).


Although the road can be driven by a capable 4x4, any vehicle much bigger than a Jeep TJ should expect some additional ‘desert pinstripes’.  The road would be impassible after a rain, plan accordingly.  I drove my Tundra which was too wide and long for this trail, which made for some hiking …

The famous Goat Canyon Trestle is off toward the desert floor behind the hills and not within view.
Photo by Ian2001

IMHO the Sacatone Overlook is the highlight.  Right from the overlook views of the Impossible Railroad are seen.  The view includes not only 7 of the 14 trestles and 1 of the 21 tunnel entrances, but also two box cars abandoned after they derailed.

.
.
.

Before the overlook there is dirt road off to the north to the School Mine, I totally forgot it was there.  Another dirt road to the south leads to Sacatone Spring, which I did not take.  I'll save both for a future trip.

An ambitious or nimble hiker, might continue up to the ridge for a better view, like the Armchair Hiker did … I am not that nimble nor ambitious, the view from here was fine.

I passed by the Lark Canyon day use and campgrounds on the way to the Carrizo Overlook.  I found the Carrizo Overlook the best place for casual hiking trails into the Carrizo Corridor from two different trail heads.

The entrance here is well maintained two lane dirt road that might be a quarter mile long, easily accessible by any vehicle.

The less traveled trail begins at the gate and descends toward Carrizo Corridor, which is a good turnaround point.

.
.
.

The more obvious trail is through the open fence and past the picnic area, before descending toward the desert floor.  Great views are available from either trail.

.
.
.

My pedometer says I logged only 3.2 miles here – hmm it must be broken!, it sure felt like a lot more :)

Cottonwood Campground is 10 miles from the entrance, which makes a good turnaround spot for this day-trip.

It’s an OK campground with some shaded sites under the Cottonwood trees.  I took a break for a PB&J Burrito at shaded site 16.  There are reports of morteros near sites 11 and 25.  I did not look for them, now glyphs … I would have made the effort.

Returning down McCain Valley Road I stopped at Upper and Lower Lark Canyon Campgrounds, which  are pretty lame.  Just wide spots for an overnight for those who want to take advantage of the off-road area.


Only one shaded campsite:


Lower Lark Canyon:

Again only one shaded campsite and it was occupied:

All three campgrounds are self registration and cost $6/3 per night, all have water available and vault toilets.

In my previous trip here, a decade ago, I took the quad to the day-use area.  Like Coral Canyon OHV, the trails are better suited to motorcycles … I was not impressed then.

.

If/when I return it would be to explore the Native American habitation sites.  The San Diego Reader mentions a Kumeyaay Home Site at Redondo Flats.  The only blog I found to mention it is San Diego's local Armchair Hiker.  He also mentions that the site is now closed to the public … I suspect it would be in the vicinity of Redondo Spring.

Here are a few pictures of Trump’s Border Wall.  The gap in the wall looks big enough to pass items through.

The wall currently has a gap just east of Jacumba.  The opening is to allow wildlife to migrate over the Mexican/US border.  Trump wants this, and the other wildlife corridors walled off, as he did in Arizona's Oregon Pipe Cactus National Monument.  Curious what the courts will decide.

In this week's BLMbytes, they are asking for public input on the future of the Alabama Hills.  There's still a chance to make your interests known.


12 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get out and explore again, a nice change from building duties! We'll have to check that area out when we're back ont he road (finger's crossed)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this fall travel will again be safe for all of us. Fran cancelled the trip to Ohio yesterday.
      Your Jeep could easily handle the narrow trails there.

      Delete
  2. It still looks warm and dry up there. Nice hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 20 degrees cooler than the desert and its a 'dry' heat :) Not bad with the breeze, but there would be a lot of dust when the OHV folks show up in force.

      Delete
  3. These all look like great spots to head for in winter, but I imagine they are quite popular with everyone else looking for sunny spots to camp in the desert. Either way, good to know they're there... Love the old boxcars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has some of the campgrounds close to the city that are open, but I doubt that it will be come a destination like Anza Borrego has. But a fun day trip! The boxcars are pretty interesting, in that there was never an attempt to recover them.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for some new ideas when we return in late January. I wanted to try to hike to the Goat Canyon Trestle last year but it has been closed off to hikers. We'll have to check out the Overlook to at least see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas you can not see the trestle from the Sacatone Overlook, it's off to the east behind the hills. But do not despair you CAN still hike to the trestle!, but not you are not allowed to follow the tracks. I'll send you some links of how it's done now.

      Delete
  5. That train trestle is incredible. Does look hot and dusty in that environment. Don't even get me started on the wall. Think about the cost of taking it down, eventually. Been talking to lots of southern Californians at Bryce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I trust my SoCal neighbors are behaving. I'm sure I share the same opinion on the border wall, so it does not need to enter into our conversation. Now that trestle would make a nice hike ... Glad I did it when the tracks were not being policed.

      Delete
  6. Very nice description. It makes me want to go back and explore again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff - it was your blog that inspired my visit.

      Delete

I welcome any corrections, additions and more links that tie in to this post. Please place them in your comments. Your comments are always appreciated! and I will reply to all comments.