Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
My reference links will open in a new tab.

If you have any corrections, suggestions, comments please use the Comments at the end of the post.
I do respond to all comments. - Thanks!

March 22, 2019

Piedras Pintadas - Urban Hiking Escondido

A few weeks ago I spent the morning in Piedras Grandes (Big Rocks) of Anza Borrego.  Today I wandered the Piedras Pintadas (Painted Rocks).  Which is now part of the Coast to Crest trail system there is now ample parking near the trailhead, trail maintenance and signage.

 The wide trail straight ahead is the Bernardo Bay trail.  Both trails are easy and with time permitting can easily be combined.  But I need to be home by 3 PM and will see how well I manage my time.
Piedras Pintadas trail head
The hillsides are full of color
The trails are well marked
Bernardo Bay trail soon has a small fork
Easy to miss this turn
Bridge over Green Valley Creek
A lot of water in the creek
In memorial for Chelsea King

17 year old Chelsea King was raped and murdered at this spot in 2010. 
Chelsea’s Light is a foundation to ensure this does not happen again
First view of the White Pelicans
Lots of water after all the rain
The City of San Diego maintains this area of the park
.
These two young were busted by Ranger Paul.  I was detained as a witness to their crime of 'being boys'.  Ranger Paul was great explaining the situation, sacred rocks, etc.  He did not want their last names so it could be left out of his report, I was not that fortunate – he also wanted my phone number! I guess insurance against some parent calling the park later. 

Most of the rock art is near the falls.  The right light and a pair of binoculars are needed to see more of them.
A few Pictographs on the center rock


Morteros under the large Coastal Oak
Trail continues down to lake
Heron, Osprey, White Pelicans
A bit of a rock scramble
A rabbit!
Wildflowers seen along the trail, there were way more than I would have expected. 

  



This little hummer was singing happily above the trail on the return.  Certainly No Bad Days for either of us!, Although I did miss my deadline getting home :)


11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful hike, love your pictures, and this two boys being bus, glad they were not hurt at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice little walk on the south side of Lake Hodges. Waterfalls call out to be explored, Ranger Paul handled the boys with kindness and education.

      Delete
  2. Yes it was! It's not often there are waterfalls AND white pelicans together, but the flowers were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to see so much green and flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing - I was just reading your blog. SoCal hasn't seen the hills in such foliage in some time. But the impetus to get me out there was the white pelicans and the waterfall, both will be gone in another week.

      Delete
  4. Great hike Jeff. Love all the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure the flowers were a huge bonus on this hike. The waterfalls and the white pelicans, however set the timing.

      Delete
  5. certainly a very nice spring hike...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are spot-on John! This is best as a Spring outing with the waterfalls and flowers, and with a bit of good timing the pelicans will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, waterfalls in AB. Glad Ranger Paul wasn't a hard guy, on the boys anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it's my turn to be busted for some dumb-s*** action I hope it's Ranger Paul, or you, who has the privilege. Seasonal waterfalls are all flowing this Spring.

      Delete

I welcome any corrections, additions and more links that tie in to this post. Please place them in your comments. Your comments are always appreciated! and I will reply to all comments.