Welcome!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
My reference links will open in a new tab.

If you have any corrections, suggestions, comments please use the Comments at the end of the post.
I do respond to all comments. - Thanks!

February 27, 2019

Winter Bloom - Anza Borrego

The 'Super Bloom' gets all the publicity in the media, which occurs about once a decade.  However a 'Winter Bloom' is only once every couple decades and does not get the attention it deserves.


This year a very massive Winter Bloom is occurring in Ocotillo Wells.  With a rebuild of the carburetor on the ATV, it was a perfect time to take it out for a test run.

The photos are from areas within the Ocotillo Wells Off-Road Park.

Sand verbena

Sunflower

Lupine

Palo Verde Wash was full of color, stretching all the way to Devil's Slide

The brilliant white of Evening Primrose has taken over the valley floor


Ocotillo Wells is an Off-Road area … but all of the off-roaders stopped to take in the amazing bloom in the wash.


ARG! Do not recall this name of this little lupine, that is only found in the Borrego Valley



The White Lined Sphinx Moth Caterpillar

There's a great video on You Tube demonstrates the speed it can devour a brown-eyed primrose HERE.  

The Swainson's Hawks will feast on the caterpillars during their annual migration.  The Borrego Valley Hawkwatch has put up a viewing platform at the end of DiGiorgio Road, where Fran and I watched a kettle of the hawks enjoy their dinner.

Desert Lily 
As pretty as it is I think the desert lily smells better than it looks.

Heading home as I approached Scissors Crossing there was a lot of traffic heading north on S-2.  That is the way I'd normally go also it's a gradual climb to 4000' on a wide road.

However, I chose to continue on CA-78 over Banner Grade, as it was devoid of traffic.  It's a steep narrow climb to 5000'.  And there's still  time to check out the snow.

That is it was devoid of traffic, until I came to Julian!, where the traffic was at a standstill.  I turned south on CA-79 toward I-8 as I had not planned to stop in Julian anyway.  I’ve seen more snow and worse conditions up here  …

But NEVER more traffic!!!  At least the southbound traffic was moving.  These must be the folks all heading home, with their heart set on a slice of Julian pie!

It’s late on a Sunday afternoon and the north bound traffic into Julian goes on for miles!

OK snow is fun, but this is stupid traffic on a late Sunday afternoon!

Great winter flowers and snow, No Bad Days! but feel sorry for those determined to go thru Julian.

We'll be in Borrego Springs in a couple weeks to check out their Spring Bloom.

8 comments:

  1. I hope it lasts another two weeks until we get to Death Valley. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope the bloom in Death Valley is spectacular for your visit.

      Delete
  2. The flowers are beautiful. I am so glad we were able to see the early blooms before we left at the end of Jan. The Desert Lilies were so pretty but I didn't smell them!!! Darn! Oh, boy, Sunday afternoon with snow, flowers, and pie!! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smell of the desert after a rain is intoxicating. However my the fragrance of the desert lily has to be my favorite.

      Delete
  3. Gotta love the wildflowers whenever we get a chance to view them , I will be out today searching, glad thee is no traffic here or snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You went to a lot of time and expense to avoid the snow back home. Crazy the way the locals flock to the hills to spend the day in it.

      Delete
  4. Great selection of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Gaelyn, there are certainly a lot to choose from. Friends have invited us out again this weekend. I'd still like to find a Desert 5-Spot in bloom.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any corrections, additions and more links that tie in to this post. Please place them in your comments. Your comments are always appreciated! and I will reply to all comments.